Thursday, January 20, 2011

No Day But Today

OK - I admit it.  I have an irrational fear of field trips.

It seems like potential disaster lurks around every turn.  The transportation seems fraught with disturbing possibilities.  The places we visit can sometimes have a lack of chairs, or they forget we're coming, or the guest speaker will decide to go horrifyingly off-script.  The students can occasionally have made the unfortunate decision to stay up way too late the night before and they spend the whole trip crabbing about the previously mentioned stuff.

Today's trip to TPAN?  In a word - Great.  Really.

Was it perfect?  Well, not exactly and you'll see why when I blog about the bus in a few days.  (Really -  I need to heal before I can write about it.)

My students?  Fantastic.  They listened, spoke, treated our speakers with great respect and were treated with respect in return.  The politely ate the donuts and pizza the agency kindly provided.  They completed their service project with speed and enthusiasm usually reserved for Santa's elves.

The speakers?  Awesome.  They shared their information and stories with great honesty and humor.  I could not believe how many incredible people work at that agency. They were so nice to us.

To TPAN and to my students -- many thanks.  I am totally exhausted, but in a good way.

No comments:

Post a Comment